Saturday, July 18, 2009

Oh no! You just got dealt a low-blow in your forbidden craze.

It's been two weeks, and I feel like life has changed SO much just in that short time. Like Raquel said today, "It's like each day is its own world!" She's been won over by New York, and will quite likely be moving back here in a year or so. I told her that would just make me SO happy, because I'd love to have some friends settled here already when I move back. OK, how can I tackle this?

Last Friday, I went to another River 2 River Festival free concert at the South Seaport. Let me backtrack a little. Before that, Caroline and I actually went into work with the other 3 interns even though it was our day off because Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy for the not-quite-superfans) was in for an interview with Peter Travers, our film critic. The interns and our bosses stood around Travers' office, where the interview was held, and took places dressing in wizard garb and quietly/nonchalantly walking around in the background. It was hilarious and brought us all together as a family, I think. When Eric, our film guy, asked Caroline (who used to intern with him) where our own costumes were, I jumped into action and made paper wizard hats out of the covers of magazines sitting around. They were a hit! We gifted one to our exec editor, and he was tickled by the gesture, I think. Then Caroline and I were off to do some vintage shopping, which was fun but unfruitful, and then we grabbed DELICIOUS pizza (the best I've had in the city so far) nearby in the area of Brooklyn we were inhabiting, and then we headed to the South Seaport for the free concert. The setting was beautiful, and although the bands were VERY disappointing (so it goes, sometimes) it was such a gorgeous night that it didn't even matter. It was warm with just the right amount of breeze, and the ships that were the background of our show were too picturesque to be true. A great day, all in all!

Saturday, I met up with Raquel for brunch in Greenwich, and it was delish and so, so much fun. Angelica joined us part way through, and then we headed off to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex in New York. We walked there, which allowed for some nice neighborhood examining. The hall itself was absolutely perfect; I don't think they could have done anything differently. The first room you go into is this kind of holding space you wait in until they are ready for you in the screening room. It has all of the autographs, cast in silver, on the walls, and when certain bands or artists are lit up, their song comes on the overhead. As it gets closer and closer to moving on, the music speeds up and the clips of each song get shorter until they explode into the final chords of "A Day In The Life," my favorite Beatles' song. Brilliant. Then you go into this room that has sort of semi-theater-arena seating, and classic clips from concerts of the legends (Elvis, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, etc.) are screened in front and around you so you feel like you're there. Then you go to the museum, and they give you this headset with a chip inside so that it can sense what part of the exhibit you're in and play music and sound clips accordingly - you don't have to press a thing!! The rock memorobilia they had is too overwhelming to name really, but it includes things like the awning of CBGB's, Bruce Springsteen's first car (!!), letters between Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon, Madonna's cone bra outfit, and SO, so much more. The final room is the special exhibit, which for now is a John Lennon exhibit. It was stupendous. There was old footage of his art films with Yoko Ono, their family films with him and Sean, handwritten lyrics, artwork by Lennon, just amazing artifacts that bring you closer and closer to the artist. Then, finally, on the last wall, there is an "art project" by Yoko that is called "Smile in a Box" that is a mirror inside what amounts to a jewelry box, and a phone that says, "Call for Peace - if it rings, pick it up!" On rare occasions, Yoko herself will call the telephone and wish the receiver peace. I wasn't one of the lucky ones, but it's just such a cool idea. Then, as "Imagine" is playing in your headphones, you get to a canvas where you can sign your name to ask Obama to put more restrictions on weapons to end gun violence. Then you come to a paper sack encased in a plastic bag. Within, John Lennon's bloody clothes that the police gave to Yoko after they finished with them sit. Though you can't see the clothes, you see the blood stains on the tape on the bag. At this point, I started to weep. Then, when I moved to my left, there was a picture Yoko took of John's bloody glasses in the window of their apartment. I sobbed openly. It was just so overwhelming, to think that such a creative soul was lost to such bloody violence. This is how Yoko intended this part of the exhibit; to show people what we lose when we use guns. It was beautifully done, and I really appreciated it.

Sunday was my homework day, if I remember correctly, as was Monday. Then, after work on Tuesday, I met up with my friend Arnell for dinner, which was absolutely wonderful. It was great to see him and catch up (he is also a student at UT, with just one year left, and he's interning at L'Oreal.) I'm hoping we get to go to some concerts together or something, because I definitely want to see him again! Wednesday was incredible. I met up with my Aunt Laura's friend, Bill Van Parys, who used to write for Rolling Stone. When I got to his posh building in Chelsea, I had to wait a few minutes for him to arrive, so I got to know the doormen. They were very friendly and funny, and it was so comforting to see how all of the neighbors knew them and each other. It felt nice. Then Bill came, and we headed up to his giant room (two rooms he renovated into one.) His place is great, and when we went over to his building's rooftop terrace, it was just unreal. I wish I had taken my camera with me, because the view of the city by the waterfront was just unreal. We chatted about his book that's in the works, about his time in Germany, his time at the magazine, and he asked me about how I was enjoying it and what I was doing there. I hope to keep in touch with him, because he was super nice and funny and interesting, and there's still so much I want to know!

Thursday was my flagship day, without question. I had e-mailed my boss on Wednesday to let her know about a surprise free show the Dead Weather (Jack White's new band with Alison Mosshart from the Kills) was putting on in their makeshift two-day label store in lower Manhattan. Erica ran by my desk at noon on Thursday to release me to go check it out. The only problem was, the show STARTED at noon, so the other interns and I knew it was a long shot. Sure enough, by the time we got there (half past noon or later, if I remember correctly) the show had started and there was no way in HELL we were getting in. We went into the store to see what we could see/hear what we could hear ('cause the band actually played in the basement below the store), and we could hear them pounding away under our feet. I decided I wanted to buy a copy of the record, so we went in search of an ATM. Walked around the block, got my money, checked out the listing at the Bowery, and then headed back to the store. People in hipsterish attire were flooding the streets, so it seemed we had gotten back right as everyone was being released 'cause it was over. I interviewed a group of fans to see if there was anything at all we could use, and then headed into the store to buy a CD, and in hopes that the band would make an appearance. They didn't (I found out later they were whisked into a car to get outta there, although our fantastic intern Jonathan, who actually got into the show, managed to get a quote from Alison) BUT. Matt Pinfield, ex-MTV veejay who was interviewed an insane amount (and caliber) of musicians in his life, showed up to help sell some CDs, and I rushed forward to ask him how he liked the show. I introduced myself, said I was an intern at Rolling Stone, and could I ask him how he liked the show? He gave me great quotes, and I strolled out, incredibly happy and hopeful. We met up with Jonathan, and all four of us headed back to RS headquarters. I typed up my quotes and e-mailed them to one of my bosses, and then kept working. After work, Chris, Caroline and I got pizza for dinner, and chatted about ridiculous things. Chris headed out, but Caroline hung out with me as I wandered to the right subway to head straight to the Stellastarr* concert I've been anticipating literally since the first week I was here. I got to the Highline Ballroom just after the openers had begun, and they were meh. The second openers were a little better than meh, but the best were Stellastarr*. They played songs off of all three albums (mostly new and off of the oldest one, only two from the middle CD). They looked happy and healthy and played tightly, and I just wish I could somehow see them again soon. Hopefully they'll hit up Austin sometime in the fall (they're playing there July 27th, but the last time they played Austin in 2005, they played two times within a few months, so it could happen!!) Then, after the show ended and I was super sweaty from all of my dancing, I checked my phone to see Caroline had texted me. She told me that I had been credited on RollingStone.com for "additional reporting" in the story that Jonathan ended up writing on the Dead Weather. I literally screamed down the street about it to anyone I could get a hold of. SO happy!!!!!!!!!!!! My name is now officially associated with Rolling Stone. I really couldn't be more ecstatic about that.

Friday, I slept in (sort of) and got a LOT of homework done. Then Caroline and I met up for a late night showing of the new Harry Potter film, which was awesome. Today, I hit up the Siren Fest at Coney Island (which is a three hour round-trip from where I live, because it's on the tip of Brooklyn. Phew.) I saw the band I really wanted to see, plus a bonus band, and took a picture or two of the beach there. If I ever have the energy, I'll try to go back and hang out on the beach. It's beautiful! (Albeit a little crowded.) I feel bad that I didn't stay at the fest for very long, because Raquel is leaving in 12 days and I want to spend as much time with her as possible. But I was exhausted and grumpy, so I decided it was best for me to get home. Now I'm trying to relax. I only have ONE assignment left and then I'll be done with summer school!!!!!!!!! I was going to jump on it tonight, but it's time for sleep. Hopefully, after I finish this damn summer school, I'll have more time to go into greater detail about my summer, and more often, on here. On the other hand, I refuse to give myself things I "HAVE" to do after I finish school (apart from the internship) because I want summer to just happen:) I'm gonna see (500) Days of Summer tomorrow, and Trip is coming for a week starting Monday!!! This is going to be a good, good week. Love to all, and I'll be back soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment