Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's been agreed the whole world stinks, so no one's takin' showers anymore.

Well, well, well. It seems that New York City has won my heart. I absolutely love it here. It's exciting, it's fluid, it's different, it's huge, it's awesome. Now, I think part of my complete adoption of my new home comes from the knowledge that I will be heading back to Austin very soon, so I don't feel like I need to miss my Texas home. If I were here for the long haul already, I'd definitely have some homesickness, but not yet. I am still trying to plan a way to kidnap my pals and bring them here to live with me. I mean, think about it - if I brought the 7 or 8 people I'd want to bring with me up here, and we all lived in a house together, it might even be affordable! We could have a TV show about ourselves, too.

I discovered the "Best Week Ever" blog today, and it's SO FUNNY. I'm not the biggest fan of the TV show; the last time I watched, it was very much the type of sad humor that I imagine my middle school buddies and I might come up with. But the blog is just fantastic. Laugh out loud funny.

I'm loving work, I'm loving our latest issue that just hit stands, just loving Rolling Stone generally. The Conor Oberst article is beautiful; I totally recommend it.

I had my first coffee drink this week, and nearly became addicted - a caramel frappuccino from Starbucks. I had one Tuesday, and couldn't help but indulge again Wednesday. Today, I opted for a can of Coca-Cola to get my caffeine kick. Way cheaper, and not quite as detrimental to my health:-P But I'm sure I'll be indulging in the sugary Starbucks creation every now and again. I feel vaguely adult, indulging in a coffee drink. If I switch to straight-up coffee (...with a significant dosage of sugar and milk/creme), I'll really feel like I've crossed the threshold. I'll try to put that off until I graduate in December.

Still loving my living quarters, and overcame a bout of self-consciousness that reared its head this week. As I have been discussing with a few of you Texans, a big problem I've personally faced is remaining true to my no-diet-ever-again-because-diets-do-not-work status. A majority of the friends I've been making here are insanely health conscious, or else they just don't like sweets the way I do. Example: sharing with the roommate that I discovered the caramel frappuccino elicited a "those are so bad!!" to which I, quite surprised, responded, "I thought they were delicious!" And she explained, no, bad FOR you. She said they had too many calories for her to really enjoy them. I had to do a lot of self-talk, reminding myself that comments like that are bred from our dieting culture, and possibly even jealousy at someone actually enjoying a food for its merit of taste. OK, jealous isn't the right word, but it's that subconsciousness of needing to suck others into the calorie-counting norm. I refuse!! I trust that, if I overcome my emotional eating, I will be able to listen to my body's hunger signals, figure out what I'm hungry for, and figure out when I'm satiated. Anyway, sorry for that not-so-New-York update, but that's been something swimming around my brain and I wanted to flush it out a little.

I went to the Virgin Megastore in Union Square on Monday, for their HUGE closing sale. Yep, Virgin is DONE. Record stores in general are having troubles figuring out how to make money, because music has moved to digital format in such a big way. I am glad that this will be better for the environment, but I am going to miss the record store experience SO much. I did get great deals, though: 50% off all music and DVDs!!! 60% and up off other stuff, like clothes and "fixture" items (store TVs, etc.) They are literally selling everything in the store.

The rest of the week has been a whirl of history homework and work. I've been packing my lunches and eating in to save money, so hopefully that's been working. Tomorrow, Jessica (my friend from Connecticut) is coming in to spend the day being touristy with me, and then we're going to the free Summerstage performance by Josh Ritter! Woot:) This is good, because a)I haven't really been able to explore New York as much as I'd like, and b)I haven't been able to hang out in Central Park at ALL. Time to do those things! I *did* go to "Taste of Times Square" on Monday, which was awesome: normally super ritzy and expensive Times Square restaurants were giving away food samples for x number of tickets (which you purchased beforehand; one ticket = one dollar.) Our residential group got 5 tickets, which I spent on a water bottle, a slice of pizza, bread pudding and a brownie. AWESOME. In retrospect, I'd have preferred the cheesecake sample to the brownie, but what can you do? Live and learn!

I'm trying to figure out a way to get to ONE Broadway show this summer. Not sure which one I'd want to do! The residents are going to see Avenue Q for cheap, so that's a tempting option. I dunno, though - I've heard that The Lion King is stunning, and I'm interested in Spring Awakening (is it even still on Broadway??) Weigh in, friends and fam!!

OK, gotta jet - office meeting in five minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment