Monday, June 15, 2009

Love, don't let it go/Won't you take me where the streetlights glow.

I won't lie - I'm posting at the moment to avoid homework. It was a busy day, and I just want a break before I jump into reading about the history of our country.

Friday, my pal Jessica from Connecticut came up for a visit, and it was GLORIOUS. We met up at Grand Central, and it was my first time exploring the giant/famous station. It's big and fabulous, just as I expected. Although, with all due respect to NYC, I have to say my favorite station is still Berlin's, because it's just so freakin' HUGE! It's a mall!!!

After getting a little lost walking around the area, we finally got ourselves oriented and headed towards MoMA (the Museum of Modern Art), our first destination for the day. We stopped off at a place called Monster Sushi, which was pretty delish and reasonably priced, but I still prefer IchiRoh (not sure if I spelled that right) just down the road from my homebase. We headed from 42/Lexington (Grand Central) to Monster Sushi (50-something and 6th, I think) and then to MoMA, which was at 53rd and 6th, or something like that. We then spent a good number of hours perusing modern art - Dahli, Picasso, Klimt, Warhol, Pollock, and so many, many more. My absolute favorite was probably "The Empire of Light, II" by Rene Magritte. It's just such a captivating and beautiful painting; it looks like a photograph, really. Except for the whole "it'd be impossible to have night and day at the same time" thing. Details, details.

After this, we walked down a block or two to Magnolia Bakery, and had a tasty caramel cupcake apiece. Then it was off to the Central Park entrance for the Josh Ritter show! We walked from 49th and 6th in the completely wrong direction (both in terms of avenues AND blocks) for an avenue and a block apiece, and then righted ourselves. We walked all the way to 69th and 5th, which, after an entire day on your feet, makes you a little worn out. We also tried to find a grocery store on the way for a picnic at Central Park, but to no avail - we ran into Madison and Park avenues when we tried to find anything, and apparently, people in the area just don't ever eat or get injuries. Anywho, all was well once we finally got into the venue, because they were selling food there! In the interim, we waited in line with a freakin' ton of other folks, and my friend Jade and Jessica's friend Michelle joined us. We traded life and concert stories, and generally yakked it up until we entered the premises. We found a comfy spot on the bleachers at the back of the venue, and set up shop. A veggie burger, bottle of water and cookie later, I was ready for some music. The New York Pops, who were Ritter's back-up band for the evening, opened the night with a song. Then Josh came out to many cheers and happy hoots, and he ripped up the stage with beautiful, lyrically vibrant songs that blended seamlessly with the summer night. Guest stars for SummerStage's opening night of free shows included Hilary Hahn (an INSANELY famous violinist, for those of you who are not orchestra nerds like me), Mark Strand (poet and current Columbia U prof), and freakin' GLEN HANSARD (from "Once," and lead singer of The Frames.) I shrieked when they announced his name, and people turned around to ask me who he was. SO excited!!! All in all the day was fabulous.

The next day, I slept a LOT to make up for using so much energy the day before. I honestly don't really remember what else I did...I know that Jade and I met up, began to watch "Junebug" (which I now need to rent and see fully), and then headed to a bar called "Off The Wagon" to meet her sister and sister's friends for a night of debauchery. I didn't participate long; at 11pm, I decided to call it a night. I'm just not one to bar it, really. But it was great to spend time with Jade, 'cause she's a super cool girl.

Yesterday, I did a decent amount of homework, and watched "High School Musical 3" (DO NOT MOCK ME) with Jade, her roommate Caitlin and my roommate Kate. Melissa's been out all weekend, and I can't WAIT for her return; she's been sorely missed.

Today was a full, busy, happy happy happy day. I got up early, worked out, and then got myself ready to go to Trader Joe's, a much cheaper Whole Foods located only in the northeast, I guess (or at least, I'd never heard of it before this summer/my roommates.) I bought some strawberries, bananas, two microwaveable quiches, string cheese, applesauce and peanuts - great breakfast and lunchtime snacks, all (sans the quiches, which will be in-a-pinch dinner solutions. They were less than $2 a piece!!!) When I got back, the roommate was off to work, so I had a little lunch, waited in the room for our AC fixer guy to finish up, and headed to Queens all by my lonesome. I was a little worried I'd get lost, but I shouldn't have been - it was really quite easy to navigate! I was on the subway train for a LONG time, but finally ended up at my stop, which looked more like a street in Texas than one in NYC - cars, cars everywhere. I crossed the street to the mall, and headed into Forever 21, H&M, and Urban Outfitters to try to find appropriate stuff for my Wednesday luncheon with JANN WENNER. I don't even know what to do with myself, honestly. I'm thinking up questions all of the time, but I could honestly just see myself being so overwhelmed that I just squeak every time I open my mouth. Phew. Anyway, tons of stuff I tried on was ADORABLE, and I ended up with two dresses and some black tights (oh, hipster me!) when all was said and done. Then I came back (a 4-hour adventure, all things told) and had some dinner! Now I've been letting my stomach rest, and it's finally time to get back to homework. Gotta call it an early night so I'm well-rested for work tomorrow! S'long for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment