Friday, June 19, 2009

New York City unknown...

Today was fantastic. Wednesday was fantastic. Life is freakin' good. I'll recap Wednesday a little, and then I'll do today, and then I'll probably finish eating this delicious Cadbury chocolate, and get to bed.

Wednesday, the interns (all 30 or 40 of us at Wenner Media, aka people in all different departments at all 3 magazines) had lunch with Jann Wenner, the founder of Rolling Stone. He was really cool, and it was crazy to be with this larger-than-life icon. He was friendly and had fun stories, and it was just so cool to be there. It was nice to be around the other interns, as well! Before we went to the lunch, we got briefed by Erica, our boss (who I adore). I asked her if it would be wierd for me to ask Rob Sheffield for his autograph when he hosts lunch with us in a few weeks, and she said not at all. WELL. When we got out of lunch, Chris and Shannekia (two interns at the office) came running back towards Caroline and me with wide eyes. They said, "OH MY GOSH, SHEFFIELD IS IN THE OFFICE!!" My mouth dropped open and I saw him walk past. I wanted to run away and hide, I was so overwhelmed. Erica told me she'd try to bring him by my desk later, and I thanked her. Caroline and I got back to work, and about an hour or so later, I sense two people standing behind me. There was Erica with freakin' Rob Sheffield, and I quickly pulled myself together and shook his hand. After introducing myself, I told him that I loved his writing, and that "Love Is A Mixtape" is one of my favorite books ever, and that it is beautiful. He thanked me sincerely, and then was introduced to Caroline. We all four got into a long discussion about Lifetime movies, Rock of Love, and other ridiculous pop culture things. It. Was. Amazing. Then he headed off, and Caroline and I freaked out. He later walked by while I was talking to Caroline, so I smiled and waved, and he returned the sentiment. I am in so much awe of that man. He is such a great writer, and he's such a nice man. Sigh.

I also am just loving the people I work with so, so much. I would love to work at Rolling Stone, with every fiber of my being. Caroline and I discussed that desire today when we were hanging out. We met up at 5:30, and then had a whirlwind tour of NYC. We hit up Rockefeller Center for a slice-o-pizza dinner, and chatted about the office. Then we wandered around for a while before deciding on going to the Staten Island ferry, and we rode a round trip (it's free!!) Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty at night. . .nothing prettier, I swear. It was so relaxing, and so much fun to chat someone up about music like that. We wandered around the fancy tip of Manhattan (near Battery Park) for a few minutes, and then we headed home! Home for Caroline is Long Island, so she had to get off at Penn Station, and I got off at Times Square (which was totally bustling) and caught my train home. It was a fabulous day, and I look forward to squeezing out as many more of these as I can while I'm here. Time is moving way, way too fast. It's good and bad at the same time. I will miss this SO much, I can already feel it, but my heart is also aching for friends back home. I wish there was a happy medium, where I could transport people here to live with me. I've said that before, but I can't help it. It's how I feel.

Time to finish my chocolate!! I'll try to update again soon:)

Oh, one last note - the rainboots came in today. HOORAY!!!!!! (Tomorrow's forecast = rainy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment